“I work with scientists and engineers to bring their expertise to life so they can get funding, sell their solutions, and expand their reputation.” – D. Otey
David Otey gets it. He understands the challenges of presenting technical material. In the 1990s, while working as a broadcast engineer, David had the opportunity to present at a conference of his peers. Just after lunch (i.e., naptime), people began dozing off as he started to narrate his slides. He knew then something had to change.
Thus, he began his study of effective communication. He was soon thrown into the fire, leading the training on a new digital technology for more than 10,000 TV engineers and technicians. During that time, he was able to get buy-in from hundreds of previously reluctant executives, vendors, and engineers across an entire industry.
David now shares what he has learned on his journey with scientists and technical experts so they can connect and engage with their audiences effectively. As a TEDx speaker and coach, he has studied under world-champion speakers and is a Certified World Class Speaking CoachTM. Additionally, he has contributed to books in both engineering and communication, including the NAB Engineering Handbook and World Class Speaking in Action, and authored his own books, The Speaker’s Quick Guide to Telling Better Stories, The Speaker’s Quick Guide to Technical Presentations, and The Speaker’s Quick Guide to Presenting with Confidence.
From Confused to Confident: David Otey can help your technical professionals gain confidence in their presentation skills. Through a process of putting Connection before Content and Empathy before Evidence™, your experts will…
- Gain a better understanding of the obstacles that get in the way of effective communication
- Discover a proven process for overcoming those obstacles
- Acquire tools that lead to measurable improvement
- Replace dread with enthusiasm when presentation time rolls around
As a result, your technical professionals will:
- Give more effective presentations
- Become more respected by their peers
- Connect with their audiences through compelling narratives
- Engage, rather than bore, their listeners
- Communicate the profound value and implications of their work
By creating a deeper connection to their material, your experts will achieve a sense of mastery. They will shift from feeling anxious to knowing that they are capable and credible.
How you can work with David:
- One-to-one in a coaching relationship
- One-to-many in a workshop environment
- Having David speak* to your association, agency, or company
*Note, David’s presentations are not simply soon-forgotten lectures. They are interactive events from which your audience will walk away with new tools they have already practiced using.